Thursday, March 18, 2010

My Childhood Village Is In Mourning

Tomorrow will mark the day that I received the horrible news about the passing of Mike. I, like so many others, was instantly sick to my stomach and so terribly sad. By the following week I could not stop myself from driving over to Chuck and Aggie's house ..not knowing what to say, just wanting to be near them and our neighborhood. They were not at home, and with my girls waiting in the car, I penned a short note on a piece of scratch paper and left it for them to read. It was not what I had in mind and a short note on a piece of scratch paper was not what I would normally do, but I knew that I had to do something. I wanted this family, my neighborhood village, to know that I was with them in their sorrow. I too have so many memories of our old neighborhood and it continues to be so difficult to fathom that Mike is gone. While I had lost touch with the family for so many years, I knew in my heart that they held a special place, I just wish that I had told them that I still loved my village and I have forever been thankful for all that we shared together. Without my childhood village, I would not be where I am today. I found out in February of 2009 that Mike and I both worked for King County and I so enjoyed a video interview that he did for our Healthy Matters Program. He looked a bit older (just like all of us) but his smile, laughter, outlook and twinkle in his eyes were still there. I tried to email him without luck and then did not pursue contacting him to say hello. How I wish I had taken the time, much like the message posted on this Blog from the church. I have spoken to Karen (my childhood best friend) on the phone. My guess is that this is the first time that we have spoken in 30 years (gosh we are old!). I am looking forward to seeing Karen and I plan to hug her, cry with her and with her family ...my village. Mike was a great kid to grow up with and clearly from reading the BLOG, he turned into a fantastic husband, father, grandfather, Co-worker, friend and continued to be a bright light to his parents and sisters. God Bless you all and I wish you peace in the coming days, months and years. With sincere sadness, Sally Mendel (Peluso)

No comments:

Post a Comment