Sunday, March 14, 2010

In memory of a dear friend...

Mike and I met several years ago. It all started about the time my daughter brought home some kid named Brian - a tall, lanky boy who made my daughter laugh and brought out the best in her. They started dating and before too long my wife and I were introduced to his parents, Mike and Judy. Mike and I had a common interest of the out of doors. I was a weekend warrior and Mike was a true adventurer. He always shared stories and could articulate his memories with vivid detail. He shared them with the deepest of passion, a big smile and an indistinguishable laugh. Mike really knew how to enjoy life and it was apparent he enjoyed people best of all.

As I mentioned, Mike and I shared a common interest of the out of doors. Mike knew the Mount Rainier area like the back of his hand and would often call asking me to go hiking with him. I was impressed with his apparent knowledge and experience though I was a little curious (concerned?) why he was carrying a 30 pound backpack with a shovel attached for an afternoon hike. He was dressed in name brand hiking gear, carried walking poles in each hand and wore some pretty impressive boots. I felt a little ‘underdressed’ as I was wearing tennis shoes and carried only my trusty camera in my shirt pocket. What had I gotten myself into?

I soon learned that you must be prepared for anything. At some point you must break out the stove and get the hot chocolate started!

"Yes, Mike. I did notice that was an MSR stove you were packing."

I will truly miss this man…

Bob Lawrence



No comments:

Post a Comment