Sunday, March 14, 2010

Bye for now Mike

I was deeply saddened to hear of Mikes passing. I have never actually worked with Mike at a base in the last 11 years, but I have had interactions with him, and YES, heard all his crazy stories. I just made a temporary move from South Base to Ryerson Base, & was working around Mike, for the 1st time. My former Supervisor Dennis Pingeon, thought I had worked with Mike before, & I told him no, this would be a first. He laughed & said Mike was a character. In the short time of being at Ryerson, Mike was to me a bright light in the morning. He always had a smile & a big laugh, and you knew he was present.

Mike always would tell me any day that the crew was getting lunch. One day we had to make a trip to the bank to get some $ for lunch. He drove me, as he said I never wanted to go anywhere around without someone with me. He needed the credit union, & my bank was right next store. I said I was going to run to the other bank, and be right back. He said OK..hurry! I ran, got my $ & started running back & he was coming to get me. I flagged him down, so he saw me & he started to pull over. I stepped in the water puddle as it was pouring down rain. He didn't drive into the puddle & splash me, but I swear I could see it in his eyes that he " Oh so WANTED TO "! I guess it was a break for me being a newbie at Ryerson..thank goodness!!

Years ago when we lived in Bonney Lake, & we had a heavy snow, both Mike & I were on graveyard, at downtown bases. He offered to backtrack into Bonney Lake to pick me up, and take me into work, so I wouldn't have to drive. So safely I got to work & back home!

That was just the kind of guy that Mike was, he really cared about folks. Mike you have been taken far too soon, BUT you will never be forgotten. My thoughts & prayers go out to the Buchanan family. See you again....keep those buses warm for us!!

Shelley Martinsen

No comments:

Post a Comment